Friday, November 24, 2006

Speaking of food

Dear Pablo,

This is our food dish. You notice that it is full? Well, recently we had a bit of a scare. It all started with a visit to our cat doctor - which is always an unpleasant experience in itself. There was some prodding of our ribs and discussion about needing to lose a bit of weight. No problem, we got out of there and came home. Everything seemed normal for about a week.

Then, out of the blue, Tracy started measuring our food and putting out a bit twice each day instead of just filling it up. Well, Monica and I started to conserve the food, making sure that it would last. We made sure that it didn't get all the way empty. Well, after a few days of that, she put down even less food! 1/2 cup of kibble in the morning and then another in the evening. We couldn't help but leave the bowl empty on some days. This was very disconcerting, as I'm sure you can imagine, Pablo. I mean, what if she forgot to put down some food one day? We would just go hungry until the next time. Something had to be done about it!

Well, I just would not stand for this situation. So I decided that I would put on a vomiting protest. I made sure to throw up at least once a day in a prominent location. Normally, I do try to hold back and keep my food down. I know that they get very worried about me when I am sick. But I just pulled out the stops. My protest lasted for 10 days before Tracy finally relented and filled the bowl up completely again. Now things are back to normal around here.

7 comments:

Kate (Pablo's mum) said...

It's amazing how far a strategically-placed vomit can get you! Even if you make like you're going to vomit, you get some attention and maybe some special food! Gourmet organic chicken mince! I like your stainless steel bowls. Do you ever have any trouble with ants?

Sherman said...

How can you stand not eating it all at once??? I don't even know what my food tastes like because I eat it so fast. Dogs don't vomit like cats do but once I happen to eat soap (which tasted very good) and I threw up all over me owners mini van.

Kate (Pablo's mum) said...

...and how do you cope sharing a food bowl with each other? I will not share my food with anyone, EVER?

Sherman: do you have any food-eating rituals? I hear that dogs do. Kate once had a dog who used to do a 360 degree spin before chowing down. Her current dog (who lives with her parents, not here, thank GOD!) will not eat while anyone is looking at him. You have to feed him, then walk away, then he'll start eating. Crazy.

Monica said...

To answer your questions,
1. we do get ants from time to time. They don't taste very good! It happens about once a year. The people will then put down some ant traps and they do the trick in about a week. Phoebe and I know that the liquid is poisonous, but the ants think it is food. Dummies!
2. We don't eat it all at once because that would simply not be very smart. Cats are just smarter than dogs, Sherman. By only eating what we need at a time, then it is still there later.
3. We don't mind sharing. We have been sharing things ever since we were kittens. Tracy calls us a "bonded pair", which just means that we have things worked out between us. I'm the boss and Phoebe knows her place. If I feel like eating, she gets out of the way and waits till I'm done. This is the same rule for anything else that I want - a place on the couch, the attention of the people, a toy. She's a good kid.

Sherman said...

Every morning, the boy feeds me. He lets me out to pee and when he opens the door to let me in...I zip as fast as I can to my dish and gobble it all down. In the evenings...when Mom is cooking dinner for the family, I sit by my dish and put a pathetic expression on my face. This usually works pretty well. She or one of the littler people will feed me. They tell me to sit and wait. They put the food in my dish...and I must sit there staring at it until they say, "ok". Oh the games people play!!!

I don't care who watches me eat and I can't be bothered by the time it would take to spin. As long as I'm fed, I'm happy.

sydney said...

I do a dance! every morning my girl wakes me up at before the sun comes up time and my mom tells her to go feed me.... or mom gets up too. and when they get my cup and go to the garage (where the food is in a bin) and bring it back I hop from foot to foot. it is my
" I am getting fed yippy dance"
I do the same thing when it is dinner time.... and when mom is cooking if and only if I stay behind the carpet line I get a treat.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, you poor, poor animals! Since I eat only when and if I am hungry, my mom fills up the dish whenever she notices its empty. Of course I do eat other yummy little things beside dog food. I love dog biscuits, apples, blueberries, fruit flavored Skittles, popcorn and almost anything else the family likes. I do not, however, care for green or red chile.